Suicide Prevention Services
The ODGP has been commissioned by the Western NSW Primary Health Network to lead a consortium to develop and manage the coordination and integrated approach to Suicide Prevention Services in the North West of NSW.
As consortium partners, Bourke Aboriginal Health Service and Walgett Aboriginal Medical service have been contracted to deliver the Indigenous suicide prevention component.
Suicide Prevention Services Care Coordinators have be appointed to each of the nominated hubs (Bourke, Cobar and Walgett), supporting integrated service delivery for clients at risk of suicide, education and training, community and communication campaigns.
The service model focus upon both mainstream and Indigenous suicide prevention, aiming to:
- Reduce incidences of suicide
- Reduce deliberate self-harm
- Support GP capacity uplift
- Improve access to mental health therapies
- Provide education and training, including to schools and after care.
Suicide Support Services:
- Lifeline www.lifeline.org.au is a 24-hour counselling, suicide prevention and mental health support service. Phone: 13 11 14
- beyondblue www.beyondblue.org.au offers 24-hour telephone support, online chat service, and links to local services. Phone: 1300 224 636.
- Sane Helpline www.sane.org provides information, guidance, and referral to help manage mental health concerns. Available weekdays, 9am-5pm AEST. Phone: 1800 187 263.
- MensLine Australia www.mensline.org.au provides 24-hour support for Australian men. Phone: 1300 789 978.
- Kids Helpline www.kidshelpline.com.au offers free confidential 24-hour telephone and online counselling for young people aged 5-18. Phone: 1800 551 800.
- National StandBy Response Service is a 24-hour coordinated community response service to families, friends, and communities who have been bereaved through suicide.
- Suicide Call Back Service www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au is funded by the Australian Government which provides counselling to people at risk of suicide. People affected by suicide can contact this service on 1300 659 467
- Conversations Matter www.conversationsmatter.com.au is a practical online resource to support safe and effective community discussions about suicide.